Two loves I have of comfort and despair,
兩個愛人像精靈般把我誘惑, Which like two spirits do suggest me still:
一個叫安慰,另外一個叫絕望: The better angel is a man right fair,
善的天使是個男子,豐姿綽約; The worser spirit a woman colour’d ill.
惡的幽靈是個女人,其貌不揚。 To win me soon to hell, my female evil
為了促使我早進地獄,那女鬼 Tempteth my better angel from my side,
引誘我的善精靈硬把我拋開, And would corrupt my saint to be a devil,
還要把他迷惑,使淪落為妖魅, Wooing his purity with her foul pride.
用骯臟的驕傲追求純潔的愛。 And whether that my angel be turn’d fiend
我的天使是否已變成了惡魔, Suspect I may, but not directly tell;
我無法一下子確定,只能猜疑; But being both from me, both to each friend,
但兩個都把我扔下,互相結合, I guess one angel in another’s hell:
一個想必進了另一個的地獄。 Yet this shall I ne’er know, but live in doubt,
可是這一點我永遠無法猜透, Till my bad angel fire my good one out.
除非是惡的天使把善的攆走。